Here is my list of top 8 viral marketing tips.
1) Write Articles for Others to Use in Websites and Newsletters. You can dramatically increase your visibility when you write articles in your area of expertise and distribute them to editors as free content for their e-mail newsletters or their websites. Just ask that a link to your website and a one-line description of what you offer be included with the article. You can use websites like ezinearticles and goarticles
2) Funny videos are a great method to use for viral marketing because video sharing is so popular today. Funny or weird videos get shared among friends and posted on blogs and get seen by a lot of eyes. Insert your brand or a link to your website into the video and you have one good example of viral marketing. Remember that your video needs to be unique in some way. There is a lot of competition out there and an average video won’t get very much attention. You can also online presentations or videos using images only. You can also create some good tutorials also.
3) Giving away free eBooks or short reports is another viral marketing example that is pretty popular today. You can keep your advertisements in free eBooks or reports
4) Posting gossip or rumors can also go viral. This is also called link baiting. The purpose is to create a buzz that gets people talking about your post and linking to it. All those web hits and back links will be good for your business as long as you do it right.
5) Create a Customized wallpaper /Screensaver . Create a good custom wallpaper /screen saver and you can keep your advertisements somewhere in that wallpaper. Make sure the advertisements is small enough so that users can use it with comfort without worrying about ads.
6) Use a “Tell a Friend” Script This is a simple form that allows your website visitors to tell other people about your site by sending a simple email.
7) Participate in Forums Many forum administrators will allow you to add a signature to all your posts. The more you participate, the more your link will be displayed throughout the forum pages. Try to participate in user forums that relate to your site’s theme. If your site is about knitting, then try to find forums that cater to arts and crafts, etc.
8) Websites like digg,delicious, stumbpleupon, linkhello can provide lot of traffic to your website when they become viral.