Physical Properties of Asbestos
Asbestos is a host of physical properties that make it almost a superstar in the world of industrial chemistry.
Asbestos fibers(Chrysotile) are extremely thin, the unit fiber having an average diameter of approximately 25 nanometers (nm) (0.025 :m).Asbestos fibers used in most industrial applications consist of aggregates of smaller units (fibrils).Diameters of fiber bundles in bulk industrial samples may be in the millimeter range in some cases;
Properties of Asbestos:
- More tensile strength than steel.
- High thermal stability.
- Electrical resistance.
- Has no detectable smell or taste.
- They are all solids that do not move through soil and are insoluble in water.
- Its color will vary according to type, and metallic composition.
- Flexible so that it can be spun and woven like cotton.
Engineering Properties of asbestos :
- Asbestos when added to plaster makes it more resistant to breaking.
- Asbestos adhering to structural steel insulates it from heat.
- Asbestos incorporated into textiles makes them less likely to burn.