Always design your website to engage your visitors navigate many pages of your website and not just leave immediately. Also different traffic sources imply different reasons for why visitors might immediately leave your site.
The bounce rate is defined as the percentage of visitors who turn around at the entry page and immediately leave the site. Such visitors “bounce” out and never see additional pages. “Unique Visitors” Must Die
Given growing bounce rates, we must stop using “unique visitors” as a metric for site success. Site tourists who leave a site immediately ratchet up the unique visitor count, but don’t contribute long-term value. Also Search Engine will penalize you if your bounce rate is really high. If your bounce rate is more than 60%, then you really need to consult SEO professionals.
Few factors that can increase bounce rate
Clicks from social bookmarking websites -When you post your link in social bookmarking websites like digg, delicious & twitter people will come to your website but generally will leave in few seconds. People arriving through these sources are notoriously fickle and are probably not in your target audience.
PPC Campaigns will increase hits but think if you have irrelevant content , they will just leave your website soon Putting too many ads will also increase the bounce rate
Following are the ways to reduce bounce rate of your website.
1. Provide Relevant Content – Provide relevant content to customers.
2. Use Good English – Use simple and good English since small mistakes will make a bad impression and user will tend to leave your website immediately.
3. Have Clear Navigation – Keep a uniform and simple navigation for you website.
4. Provide Ample Content – Provide good amount of content to your visitors.
5. Update Your Content – Update your content frequently so that user will like to come back and see latest and fresh data.
6. Good Design – A pleasant presentation encourages users to visit the site again and again.
7. Target specific topics -Don’t offer solely too broad low value information and be clear on what you offer.
8. Loading time – On a site whose pages take a long time to appear one is incited neither to continue, nor to return.