- Mesothelioma is almost exclusively caused by asbestos exposure.
- Majority of mesothelioma patients get exposed to asbestos during work(roughly 80%) and few people get exposed to asbestos from family members via clothing, skin and hair.
- Most of the symptoms occur in last stages and patients gets diagnosed in later stages only. It is very tough to detect this cancer in early stages,but if found in early stages then the cure is possible. USA reports maximum number of Mesothelioma patients. About 2000-3000 patients are reported from USA and about 10000+ from worldwide.
- The average age of a mesothelioma patient has historically been about 65 years old.
- Not everyone who is exposed to asbestos will develop an asbestos-related disease.